Hardwood Flooring Care & Maintenance in San Jose
Learn what to expect before, during, and after our hardwood installation process.
Daily care & maintenance
If you want to maintain the beauty of your hardwood floor, it's essential to establish a proper care and maintenance routine. Here are some instructions to follow:
- To remove spots like candle wax or chewing gum, harden the floor's surface the spot with ice, then gently scrape it with a plastic scraper like a credit card. Be careful not to scratch the surface of the floor, and wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
- For tougher stains, use Shaw's R2X Hard Surfaces Flooring Cleaner.
- Avoid using any buffing machine on the floor.
- Protect your floor by placing mats at each doorway and encouraging people to remove their shoes before entering your home.
- Maintaining an average indoor relative humidity level between 45 and 65% throughout the year is essential to minimize wood's natural expansion and contraction.
- To move heavy furniture or appliances, use a dolly to avoid damaging your floor.
Dealing with spills & stains
- If you experience spills or spots on your flooring, it's best to act fast and use a damp cloth to blot them immediately.
- For more stubborn stains, like oil, paint, lipstick, ink, tar, or cigarette marks, try using acetone or nail polish remover on a clean white cloth before wiping down with a damp cloth.
- Always avoid leaving any liquids to sit on your flooring.
To keep your floor looking its best, regularly sweep, dust, or vacuum using the hard floor attachment (not the beater bar) to prevent dirt or grit from accumulating and potentially scratching or dulling the finish.
- Additionally, it's a good idea to occasionally wipe down the floor with a damp mop or cloth.